DocHub keeps a detailed event log (aka audit trail) for all actions made to a Sign Request by all parties so that you can provide legal proof of your signed PDFs in DocHub, if ever needed. We have designed DocHub to meet all requirements of the US Federal ESIGN Act (enacted June 30, 2000) which establishes that electronic signatures are just as legally binding as handwritten signatures on paper, and DocHub follows and adheres to the rules and intent of the ESIGN Act entirely. For outside the USA, the laws of almost every other country are almost identical to the ESIGN Act requirements, so all signatures in DocHub also meet the legal standard for electronically signed contracts around the world.
This Audit page records and displays all of the information you'll ever need to backup and prove it's a legally binding document. This includes information about who signed the document including their full name, email address, dates/times, geolocation, and IP address. DocHub also keeps a record of every action taken on the document including all signature, initials, and other annotations and displays these events in a timeline on the Audit page.
To access the Audit page for a Sign Request, click on the button to Manage and audit on the right side of the banner at the top of an open Sign Request document or add /audit to the end of the document URL. To access the Audit page from your DocHub Dashboard in the Sent section or Inbox, you can select the document that was sent or received as a Sign Request and click on the Actions menu above the list and choose Manage and audit.
For even more legal backing and to help prove the authenticity of signed documents, all DocHub Sign Requests automatically create before & after document snapshots. These snapshots are saved as PDFs, and then we generate a SHA256 hex digest of each PDF and upload it into the Bitcoin blockchain. This was added in our 2.0 update on October 25th, 2017, so all Sign Requests created on or after this date have before/after snapshots.
If you have any questions or concerns about the audit trail for Sign Requests in DocHub, feel free to contact our support team who are available 7 days a week.
- What PDF editor tools does DocHub offer for annotating & signing documents?
- How do I send my PDF as a Sign Request?
- How do I share or download my edited PDF?
- How to annotate & electronically sign PDF documents using the Tool Bar
- How legally binding are PDFs signed in DocHub? Is there an audit trail for e-signed documents?
- How to electronically sign & initial PDF documents
- How to add fillable fields to a PDF document
- How to publish a PDF form to a webpage for anyone to sign and complete
- How do I change the email address associated with my DocHub account?